News // October 27, 2023
Written by Richards Jessica
Window Shutters & Home Security for New Homeowners
Congratulations on your new home! This is a very exciting time with lots to celebrate. With purchasing a home, however, also comes a wave of responsibilities and tasks to manage as you set up the next chapter of your life.
When it comes to window shutters and home security, this is especially important for a new house. Find out more about the importance of prioritising security right from the beginning, as well as a guide to selecting home security furnishings that will protect you and your new home for years to come.
Why New Homeowners Should Prioritise Security
As explained by RACV, new homes are very attractive to burglars. With a whole range of shiny new items, appliances and furnishings, stealing from a new home can seem very appealing. Often, boxes that new items have come in are left outside the house, advertising the shiny new objects to be found inside. It is recommended that you dispose of this packaging discreetly.
Generally, new homes are also not yet equipped with the regular security measures such as a sturdy security door and shutters. It is possible for thefts to occur before you have even moved into the house, so security measures should be prioritised as early as possible in order to avoid this.
Window Shutters For Additional Security
Shutters offer additional security over windows, the most vulnerable home entrances. As well as creating a tamper-proof barrier, these act as visual deterrents alone, and enhance privacy so it is more difficult for potential thieves to see into the home to determine if there are any valuable items.
For peace of mind, shutters are an invaluable home furnishing option for your new home that are made to last, and will allow you to feel more at ease for generations.
Selecting Shutters For Your New Home
Plantation shutters are an aesthetically pleasing window treatment that assist in natural light control in the home and privacy, while roller shutters are a more heavy-duty security option, also offering higher levels of noise reduction and insulation.
When selecting plantation shutters, you should consider:
– Shutter material, where durable timber shutters are an excellent option and PVC is recommended in areas such as the kitchen and bathroom for more moisture resistance.
– Panel styles of your shutters should be chosen with the shape of the window in mind. You can have full-height window shutters which cover the entire window, as well as styles that only cover the lower portion which offer privacy while still allowing plenty of sunlight into the room. There are a range of panel sizes to choose from, as well as opening styles.
When selecting roller shutters, consider:
– Shutter style, and opt for domestic shutters or fire-rated shutters if your home is located in a bushfire-prone area.
– Shutter operation, and select from a wall switch, remote control or even phone app for added convenience.
Plantation and roller shutters are both available in a wide range of colours, and can be made to complement your walls or stand out. Different window coverings may be more suitable for different rooms of the house, so consider options for each room.
Recommended Home Security Measures
1. To protect your new home, it is a good idea to:
2. Check all locks and replace or repair any if necessary.
3. Repair or build fences.
4. Install a security system equipped with an alarm and cameras.
5. Ensure adequate lighting around the home.
6. Befriend the neighbours.
7. Keep valuables in a hard-to-find place.
8. Make it look as though someone is home – smart automated shutters or programmed lighting can assist with this.
Quality Home Security Furnishing Options With Security Plus
Security Plus Shutters, Doors & Blinds has been providing affordable protection that lasts to Australian homes for over three decades. With an expert team that will ensure your window furnishings or doors are a perfect fit and offer style and practicality, you can rely on Security Plus to make you feel safe in your new home.
Contact us today to arrange a free consultation.